The Alvaralice Foundation was established by the Garcés Echavarría siblings in honor of their parent’s Alvaro Garcés and Alice Echavarría civic and philanthropic spirit.
Restorative Justice 2004 progress
1. The founders of Alvaralice Foundation join the Global Philanthropy Circle of the Synergos Institute.
2. The project “Restorative Justice and Peace in Colombia” is approved , with financial support from USAID’s Global Development Alliance
The International Symposium on Restorative Justice and Peace in Colombia
Attended by over 1600 people. Nobel Peace Prize Laureate Archbishop Desmond Tutu was the keynote speaker.
Establishment of the program “Cali How Are We Doing”
The goal of this program is to increase the effectiveness and responsibility of Cali’s local government, by evaluating its performance in addressing the needs of its citizens and surveying their perceptions concerning issues related to their overall quality of life in certain predetermined areas. This is achieved by conducting a yearly poll and through specialized workshops.
Establishment of the program “For a Better Cali”
A private sector initiative geared towards identifying, documenting, strengthening and promoting the work and achievements of community-based initiatives whose goal is to improve conditions in the city. The program will establish a yearly contest to award monetary prizes and a support system to the finalist and winning organizations.
Alvaralice Contributes to the Peace Effort 2006
1) “Truth Commission Workshop – The complexity of Reparations” with the participation of Fazel Randera and Mary Burton of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of South Africa. 2) Symposium “Colombia Defies Poverty”
3) The United Nations grants Alvaralice Foundation consultative status. 4) Alvaralice joins the Foundations for Peace Network.
Transitional Justice Workshop 2007
With participation of ICTJ - International Center for Transitional Justice , USAID, OIM, the Tinker Foundation, and the vice-president of Colombia, among others
Alvaralice Contributes again to the Peace Effort
Humanitarian Agreements and Peacebuilding meeting in Paris. The end result was the creation of a collaboration document with CIT-PAX, Toledo International Center for Peace, intended for the Colombian government and other actors.
Development of project “Rural and Urban Restorative Justice, Coexistence and Peace in Colombia”
With the participation of USAID, OIM, The Javeriana University Cali, Paz y Bien Foundation and Corona Foundation
Participation in the Regional Report on Human Development in the Valle del Cauca Region of Colombia
With participation of PNUD, Cali universities, the Agency for Social Action and OIM
1. Reintegration of Youths in Conflict with the Law. 2. Second Track Diplomacy and Humanitarian Agreements with the participation of Glen Blumhurst, Canadian academic.
Awards to Alvaralice Foundation 2009
1. The Chamber House of Representatives of the Colombian Congress awarded Alvaralice Foundation the Order of Democracy “Simon Bolivar” at grade “Commander Cross”. 2. The Office of the Governor of Cali awarded the foundation the Order of Confederate Cities.
Microfinance As a Tool for Peacebuilding Symposium 2009
With more than 1,700 attendees, 80 international and 100 Colombian speakers, the presidents of the IDB and CAF, and the President of Colombia and his Vice President.
Public-private alliance for the creation of the Cultural Technocenter Somos Pacifico 2010
Alvaralice Foundation, Comfandi, Paz y Bien Foundation, and the Office of the Mayor of Cali created an alliance for the building of “Somos Pacifico” in the Potrerogrande neighborhood of Cali. The project was presented to more than 100 industry leaders of the Valle del Cauca region.
Groundbraking Ceremony 2011
A symbolic first stone of the Cultural Technocenter Somos Pacifico was laid by the Mayor of Cali, during a ceremony which marked the beginning of construction.
Great Night of the Stars “Somos Pacifico” 2011
Benefit gala dinner to raise funds for the construction and furnishing of the Cultural Technocenter Somos Pacifico. Attended by more than 400 guests and the First Lady of Colombia, Maria Clemencia de Santos.
Youths meet Juanes
Adolescent participants of the Francisco Esperanza Houses program and the Batuta musical program of the Cultural Tecnocenter Somos Pacifico had the opportunity to meet the international music idol, Juanes
Completion of the First Phase of Construction of the Cultural Technocenter Somos Pacifico
The music programs in alliance with the Batuta National Foundation and the English program offered with the help of the Colombian American Cultural Center are under way in the brand new classrooms of Somos Pacifico
Official Opening Ceremony of the Cultural Technocenter Somos Pacifico.
Colombia’s President Santos and other important functionaries joined in the festivities of the community